On this page I will attempt to point out a few of the themes that crop up. Of course I will miss many things so do hope you contact me so that I can add your thoughts as well to this page.
As I think about this episode, here are a few questions that come to mind that would be helpful in group discussion or further study on your own:
- access to health care
- Where did Bernad go for help?
- Why did Bernad choose to go to that place?
- What types of health care providers had he already tried out before the story picks up?
- lost in translation
- What language does Bernad speak?
- What are the main languages that exist in Malawi and Mozambique?
- What is the main language spoken around Mandimba where Bernad lives?
- What is the language most commonly used by workers at the hospital in Malawi?
- What language(s) did you observe the doctor using?
- What would you expect his main language to be, based on his tribal affiliation?
- In what settings did you observe Bernad and his family?
- What is Bernad’s main occupation?
- cultural tour guides
- What were some of the things that stood out to you based on the cultural tour guide Candulu’s explanation of how the Yawo approach medicine?
- Based on what he said, what other kinds of health care providers do the Yawo often take advantage of?
- What were your impressions of the local government health clinic that show up as Candulu talks about it?